top of page

Benefits of Indoor Tanning

by Hannah Gray


For some people, utilizing indoor tanning is not a choice, but rather the only way to get a tan due to the climate or season. It isn’t really talked about that there are several benefits to using this method rather than using the sun to get a tan.

So, let’s delve deeper into exactly what these benefits are and what could be the reasons for them.


Tanning beds are one of the cheapest methods when it comes to getting a tanned look.

On top of that, did you know that it is much more affordable to own your own tanning bed than to go to a salon?

Plus, you can get a more efficient tan because of increased accessibility—of course, this is mostly relevant to people who want to tan regularly.

Tanning at a salon can cost about $95 a month on average, including fuel costs, whereas owning your own tanning bed would only amount to around $40. Check out this article – how much are tanning beds to see more information on exactly why it is more affordable in the long run.


Tanning can darken any type of scars and reduce their visibility. Apply a bit of sunscreen on them before so that they can blend with your natural skin color and using lemon juice is a great method for lightening dark scars if need be.


Being able to maintain a great tan at all times can improve your mood, as well as your self-confidence, which is something just about anyone could benefit from, simply because looking good makes you feel good.


Vitamin D levels are extremely important for ensuring an adequate supply of calcium which keeps our bones and teeth healthy and strong.

Moreover, it is also crucial for preventing high blood pressure, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), depression, and anxiety, as well as reducing risks of cancer, heart disease, and autoimmune and infectious diseases.

This is why it is especially good to use indoor tanning during the winter to maintain a good amount of Vitamin D intake.

This study, The Effects of Regular Tanning Bed Use and Increased Vitamin D Status by Catherine A. Peterson, et al., showed that tanners are more likely to have sufficient vitamin D levels than non-tanners are.

From that particular study, 26.5% of non-tanners had deficient vitamin D levels, 35.7% were insufficient, and just 38.8% had sufficient levels. Of the tanners, on the other hand, none were deficient, only 15% had insufficient levels, and the remaining 85% had sufficient levels.


By using a tanning bed to get a tan, you are reducing the risk of skin, kidney, ovarian, and breast cancer. This is because you are exposing your skin to UV rays for a much shorter amount of time to get a tan than you would with the sun. The risk of actually burning your skin is much lower as well.


Although regular outdoor tanning can also balance your hormones and promote the production of healthy oils, the difference is you can measure the doses with indoor tanning and avoid unnecessary and unintentional damage.

The UV rays' effect on the skin, by balancing the natural oils in our body, keeps our skin healthy, soft, and moisturized.

If you have too much oil, this can block your pores, which is why bringing everything in balance is even more important.

Plus, UV rays also ward off skin anomalies, such as psoriasis, eczema, and acne.


bottom of page